Saturday, February 13, 2010

Nothing to see here, move along.

This is why i'd be a better DJ than blogger, there aren't always videos for the songs i wanna play, so i'm breaking with tradition (a tradition that stretches as far back as last month when i started this blog obviously.) And i'm giving you an album cover to watch and full lyrics to read.

I feel a need to play this today, tomorrow will just be a crappy day all round, at least today i can be slightly removed from it, more observer than participant. I wanted to present an alternative to the schmaltz that will surround tomorrow, just in case any of you, like me, need an alternative.

So, on Valentines Eve, a song with its shoulders so stooped in resignation you almost want you put your arms around it and give it a big hug, tell it that everything will be alright and it's ok to eat that much ice cream and chocolate.

The lyrics are just brilliant, written within a sigh, all the wind gone from under the songs wings. There's something quite splendid in the act of acknowledging that the winning streak is over, turning around and walking away. And if there's anyone reading this that can't sympathise, or see themselves in those words, well fuck off, you're not welcome around here you cheery little bastard.

"End Of The Line" is originally a Roxy Music song, and much as i do like the original, i happen to think Concrete Blonde's version is better, it feels less forced, more pathetic really. This version is from the 1992 album Walking in London, a track that was sort of tucked away at the back of the album as if no one was supposed to find it there anyway. Which is quite fitting given the subject matter.

I was always a huge fan of Concrete Blonde though, and have had a crush on Johnette Napolitano's voice for more years than i can remember. Listening to her just makes me want to close my eyes and let her take me away - hardly very practical when i'm driving the car let me tell you.

Right then, with all due respect to Mr Ferry i give you the most wonderful antidote to Valentines Day i can think of.


"Take a walk out in the rain,
Called you time and time again,
Everything is wrong,

You've gone.

Reached the point of no return,
The more I see the more I stand alone,
I see the end of the line.

Were you ever lonely?
Mystified and blue?
Realising only,
Your number's up,
You're through.

Had my share of winning,
Now's my time to lose,
After a fair beginning,
The game's up,
You're through.


Think I'll walk out in the storm,
Got no love to keep me warm inside,
I see the end of the line.

Now's the time to take a dive,
Take a magic carpet ride,
Everything is wrong,
We've gone.

If you ever miss me,
If I should cross your mind,
You know where to find me,
I'll be waiting at the end of the line."


I'll be back next month to ruin Easter for you all.

davey


No comments:

Post a Comment