Thursday, February 11, 2010

R.E.D.U.N.D.A.N.T.

So far, i've been fired twice, mostly for telling people that knew more than me, that they didn't know more than me. And for telling them to get fucked. Not that i'm complaining, i totally deserved it both times, but what annoyed me was the time they called it a redundancy. That was an insult.

But until recently i never thought why i found it insulting, but it's obvious really it's just a break-up.

When i first heard Henry Priestman sing "Don't You Love Me No More" i registered that chorus but didn't fully take in the meaning, i just filed it away as a nice break-up song for a rainy day.

Yesterday it rained. Hard.

Me being me i went looking for some solace in song, and in Henry Priestman i found it. 2009's "The Chronicles of Modern Life" is his debut solo album despite his 30 years in the music business, and there's a touch of deep irony in his songs as you'd expect of anyone in the same industry that long. This is perfectly illustrated by "Did I Fight In The Punk Wars For This?", a little country number sung with tongue very much in cheek.

But it's "Don't You Love Me No More" that does it for me, a wonderful track that rather neatly blurs the line between being let go by a lover and being let go by an employer. As a lot of us already know, you don't have to love your job to feel some sort of injustice of your employer dumping you, even if you thought about it first.

"Don't you need me no more?
Won't you feed me no more?
Tell me what you suggest that I do with the rest of my life"

These are words of one seeking closure they will never get, is he really just talking about a job? I know i've felt like that more than twice.

And sometimes i didn't even deserve it.

Sometimes.

davey.


No comments:

Post a Comment