Thursday, January 28, 2010

Back to the future?

"What came first, the music or the misery? People worry about kids playing with guns, or watching violent videos, that some sort of culture of violence will take them over. Nobody worries about kids listening to thousands, literally thousands of songs about heartbreak, rejection, pain, misery and loss. Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?"

A friend of mine has pointed out that my last couple of posts are turning the blog into "High Fidelity". Which isn't a bad thing, i mean, when they make the movie of my life i'd kinda like John Cusack to play me. Him or Jeff Goldblum, obviously. But it was never my intention to turn the blog into a Nick Hornby novel, well not unless it's one of the football ones.

So i actually watched three quarters of the movie last night for inspiration, but then i remembered it had a happy ending and turned it off. I couldn't be doing with a happy ending. That was last night.

Today i have vowed to find something a bit more uplifting to play.

And i have.

Meet the Magic Wands.

If Chris Valentine (the boy one) and Dexy Valentine (the girl one) are related i'll eat my hat, but i do like that they play pop stars, faux names, 24 hour sunnies, all pose and no substance. THAT, my friends is cool.

I should say though, that i'm not in love with all of what i have heard of this Nashville electro-pop-glitter-goth duos stuff, but i suspect i'm not the target audience anyway, what with me being around when the 80's were actually happening and were actually a bit shit, as opposed to the stylised version that's so hot right now.

But regardless of target audience, "Kiss Me Dead" has got it all goin' on. It's digestible in the way a good pop song should be, it stands up to repeat plays in the car and shits the passenger who's never heard it before to tears.

Remember when back in 2007 The Jesus And Mary Chain reformed? And they said they would write some new stuff, and they are still working on it? They shouldn't have bothered. Magic Wands have gone and perfected the feedback buzz pop and crafted an oddly infectious pop song of their very own.

Given the choice of an 80's band's taking on today, or todays band giving us a take on the fuzzed-up guitar sound of the 80's, i'll go with the kids every time. Even if it is full of shiny things and Corey Hart sunglasses.

davey


2 comments:

  1. Ok ok ok. I’ve now spent the last hour and a half reading (and crucially listening) to your blog.

    And here’s my conclusion, which is kinda two-fold.

    Firstly, the music.

    I’ll level with you – I still don’t get it. I mean I’m not without a modicum of culture, and most other art forms I adore – especially movies and a good discussion about literature (I owe you big time for telling me to read the Phillip Pullman books, by the way. The middle one – The Subtle Knife – was a borderline classic).

    But I promise to carry on trying to get it. So keep on posting, and maybe I’ll get there one day.

    Maybe.

    Now, onto the second conclusion – knock this art direction nonsense on the head and come over to the copy side. Cos you’re really rather good.

    G.

    (Oh, and Charles and Eddie rule. It’s just snobbery that says otherwise. After all, I challenge anyone not to smile and have a good time when they’re listening to ‘Would I lie to you?’ Actually, am I now arguing for music? This is all getting very confusing…)

    ReplyDelete
  2. SEEEEE! i told you al Big Graham exists!

    And we have only tried a few songs so far but i can't guarantee i can find the new Charles and Eddie.

    But i'll do what i can. Perhaps i'm not scraping deep enough in the bottom of the barrel.

    d

    ReplyDelete