Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The last goodbye.

Writing doesn't come naturally to me - which is odd as i can talk the back legs off a wooden horse - so i started the blog as a way of practicing. The last couple of days it's also taken the form of therapy and i am using it to distract me from something i'd rather not think about.

Of course this doesn't work and i end up searching out the sort of music i shouldn't be listening to. We should all be thankful that it's Australia day and the fact that i don't really like James Blunt, they are all that's stood between you and what amounts to car crash blogging. Still, some of it was bound to creep through. Earlier we had the Eels and now it's Sinead O'Connor's turn.

No, it's not "Nothing Compares 2 U" how fucking predictable do you think i am? It's from the same album though, 1990's "I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got".

"Nothing Compares 2 U" might have been the international breakthrough hit, the number one single and the video with the crying, but at the end of the day, despite her beautiful performance it was still a cover of a Prince song. "The Last Day Of Our Acquaintance" wasn't just written by O'Connor, but it's personal, it has a raw honesty about it. Even the title hurts.

I think it's heartbreaking. For someone who struggles to write, i can't fathom what it takes to be able to write and then perform words like this:

"This is the last day of our acquaintance,
I will meet you later in somebody's office.
I'll talk but you won't listen to me,
I know what your answer will be.
I know you don't love me anymore,
You used to hold my hand when the plane took off.
Two years ago there just seemed so much more,
And I don't know what happened to our love."

Although there is a recent live clip of her doing a quite vitriolic performance of the song that is well worth seeing, i am going with this older more sombre version.

davey.

No comments:

Post a Comment