Monday, January 25, 2010

Crazy in the coconut.

Tomorrow is Australia Day, it would be a rubbish effort on my part if i didn't play a couple of my favourite bits of Australiana.

The Avalanches are - or were depending on who you ask - a loose collective of musicians and DJ's from Melbourne. They gained international recognition in 2000 when they released their only album to date "Since I Don't Have You".

In 2001, they put out "Frontier Psychiatrist" as a single and made the most crazy ape bonkers video to go with it. For that i thank them.

If you've not seen it for a while it's worth another look, it still makes me smile, but if all this is news to you and you've never seen it, ohhh you don't know what you've been missing.

I still love the track, but for me it's about the video, i mean, faced with the challenge of making a video for a track that is made up almost entirely of samples, would you have done this? I wish i could have been there at the pre-production meeting "So how many times do you think the monkey should chase the giant dove around the stage before they stop and have a dance then"?

brilliant.

davey


3 comments:

  1. OK, maybe it's just because I took my pills late today, but I reckon that film clip makes the song make more sense. All these bits that I couldn't really understand - all clear as a bell now, thanks. (Though I must say the turtle man completely freaks me out.) xk

    ReplyDelete
  2. i LOVE the ghost choir. The whole thing is just insane, if it was just clips i'd get get, but to act it all out in the style of a big band is inspired.

    d

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a genius clip. I always love singing along with all the bits of the song. "Frontier Psychiatry". Such a great concept to begin with.

    That was a ground breakingly great album.

    ReplyDelete